Tuesday, December 23, 2014

About Time

It's been a while since my last post. When I saw that it was back in October, my first thought was geez I've been slack. There are some very good reasons though. It's currently well past 2am, on what I guess now is Christmas eve so I won't elaborate too much. I will though, dear reader, let you in on a peek at what has been my life for the past 2 and a bit months.  

Burngate
As you may or may not be aware, I am just about the most accident prone person in existence. If there's an accident waiting to happen, I'm the one it's happening with. Four days after my last blog post, I went above and beyond, and managed to outdo anything I've done before. I was cooking a stir-fry (oh.... yeah if you're squeamish at all, you might want to skip a few paragraphs) in my rather massive wok, and had the oil all nice and smoking hot, as you do when cooking a stir-fry. Especially when it's on an electric stove (groan). Admittedly, I did put more oil in than I would normally have done. Not a huge lot, but I generally use very little in a stir-fry. As I put the meat in from its packet, it kind of came out in an unexpected lump, and fell at the side of the wok, instead of closer to the middle. By now, you probably know what's coming next. The wok tipped with the weight of the meat on the side, and the hot oil was flung from wok, to me. As luck (or lack thereof) would have it, I had just gotten out of a bath, and popped on my favourite little satin chemise for the night (I've mentioned my lingerie obsession, right?). The satin and smoking hot oil combination really isn't a good one. I won't go into the really gory details. All I will say is I'm very glad my bathroom is right next to my kitchen so I could run for the shower. A month's worth of hospital visits later, including the burns ward at Royal Brisbane, and I was able to leave the super special silver-laced dressings behind. It's been a bit over a month since that point now, and the healing is going well. I did manage a spot of full-thickness (never one to do something half-way) and the rest was 2nd degree, in splotches from just past my elbow to just above my navel and all bits n pieces in between on my right-hand side. I've been pretty darned lucky to be honest. Nothing of significance on my face or really anywhere I can't cover with a t-shirt. It's now just time to heal, while my "crispy bits", as I have donned them, fade into insignificance. It will be a few months away yet, but all in good time.

 Yes, I am learning patience the hard way.

I kept working through it all, of course. But once the dressings were off, I could dive in again at full function (my shoulder copped the brunt, so editing was a bit tricky and uncomfortable). Sadly, the catalogues I have been designing every 3 weeks for a client have been sent to print-heaven and so that work was no more. As fate would have it though, the local business women's group I am involved in kicked into high gear in that very same week. I'll save the details for my next post, but I have spent the last 5 weeks shooting, designing, editing, promoting and celebrating a calendar for the group.

 I've been a very busy gal!!

 I also finally got around to making www.scarletharlotte.com a living, breathing, thing today. You should definitely check it out, and share far and wide.

Until next time, here's a bit of an arty image I shot when I was all patched up with dressings. It's a bit of a multiple-meaning storytelling arty thing. Just like me I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment