Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Calendar Girls: Miss January

Miss January
Rock n Roll Miss January!
 There was no better introduction for the calendar, than Miss January.  When people opened the calendar, we really wanted to just say, "Hi Kooralbyn, here we are!!"  What better setting than the large Kooralbyn Valley sign we have at the turnoff from the highway, and what better woman to tend its garden, than our very own Paula from Tu'ua Yard Services.


Paula is always out and about in the community.  Whether it's organising, helping out or having her stall at the markets, tending or planting the many garden areas around the town, or her plethora of other activities, she always brings a smile and a hardy spirit to the task.  It was this spirit we really wanted to capture, and I think she really shined through.

Vicki's magic barber's chair.  Isn't it magnificent?!?!

The January shoot was only our second for the calendar.  We were still gaining our bearings, but Paula's easy attitude and willingness to give it a go helped tremendously.  This was our first pinup look, embracing the 1950s fantasy primped and preened housewife within the country feel of the valley.  It was also my first look at Vicki's amazing barber's chair where much of the magic was to take place!

The early morning light was just beautiful, and perfect for capturing Paula's transformation into our rock n roll country gardening gal.  The light playing with the colours and curls as Vicki worked her wonders on Paula's hair saw me clicking away, capturing all the glinted loveliness I could.

Vicki weaving her hair magic!
I loved the way the morning light played on those curls!

Transformation in progress
It was then that I witnessed an amazing transformation.  Paula became a bombshell!!!  Little was I to know, this would happen several times throughout, but nevertheless this was my first experience of it.  Just to add a little international flavour to the mix, I brought with me a bandanna to wear that I was given from my dear friend, Angel, in Kentucky.  Just a touch of that Southern Miss, which I think added a little sparkle to that magic wand of Vicki's.

Once she was revealed in all her glory, Paula and I headed out to the highway to stir up a January image, and stir up some stories, wolf whistles and lots of tooting horns in the process!!!  Though the sun was a bit harsh (especially with my burns), and we were beginning to melt fairly quickly, Paula brought her A-game and posed with poise.  She took all the attention from the road with grace, and strutted her stuff confidently. 

And so it was, that Paula came to us as the fun, cute, country and rock n roll (two of my favourite things!) inspired Miss January.

Paula at the Kooralbyn Valley sign - at the turnoff from the Mt Lindsay Highway.



No comments:

Post a Comment